Saturday, June 30, 2012

Project: Jewelry Corner

We just moved into our new apartment a couple weeks ago.  We went from a 2300 sqft house to a 700 sqft apartment.  I love it!  I feel so much more at home in a cozy space. :)

In the house I had a closet larger than one of the spare bedrooms, so I had plenty of room to let my jewelry run rampant and be displayed anyway I wanted.  Well, most of the display options there were too large for this place.  Which is awesome because I got to come up with a new one!

Here is the before picture.  The bedroom door is just to the left of this picture.  Obviously covering the breaker box without blocking it was a priority.  I just found this area to be perfect for a "girly corner" since it is on "my" side of the bedroom. :)


During. After a couple hours of shopping for what I had in mind, I came across other things I liked better. :) 
Cork Board from Michael's: $14. Shelf from Target (half of a 2 pk): $15 (or $7.50 for just the one  The other will be claimed by my "office space"). Curtain Rod: Already had. Gold paper clips from Office Max (you'll see em later): $2. Total Cost: $23.50.


Finished! 
Well, I still want to get a hanging pendant lamp for light and to put a small mirror somewhere.  
Probably will put the mirror on the back of the door.


I couldn't find the right thing to use for hooks to hold my necklaces.  Most of the curtain rod or towel holder solutions on Pinterest used S Hooks or shower curtain rings.  I though those were both too big for my tiny curtain rod and too expensive. I had given up, was in the office supply aisle of Target, I saw paper clips and I had an epiphany! So off to Office Max I went in search of pretty paper clips. Gold? Yes Please!!


You can see the paperclips here. Which were not as easy to bend to my will as I would've liked.



Something that always makes me smile: This is the box my engagement ring came in. When Daniel and I were first dating we had played the game Battleship a few times. 
On one of our early dates he gave me one of the red markers with a note that said, 
"You're always a Hit with me." Awwww. 
I managed to hold onto that for going on 10 years and 7 moves.


Cork board from Michael's. I had planned on doing a frame with cork inside, but couldn't find what I wanted for less than a fortune. This worked out perfect. This holds all my french hoop earrings with plenty of room for more.  What I like is that it has a plush backing on it so my earrings are nice and stuck in there without hitting wall.



Sorry for the terrible lighting! This is the dress I wore on NYE this year in NOLA. It's a little big for me now and covers the breaker box well without blocking it entirely in case we need to get there.  Also included is the white and gold feather boa I bought at Jackson Square and the Tiny Top Hat headband I wore.  I want to find a way to get my pink sequin shoes on display here too.  


The shelf holding my stud earrings and all two of my bracelets.



 Here I am standing at the door to my bedroom as it's closed. When it's open this whole corner is blocked. So the girlyness does not overwhelm the room which happens to occupy a man 1/2 the time.



Let me know what you think!  Also tell me about any other projects you've worked on. :)

I know there aren't many projects on this blog, but I have lots to work on!  So check back and I might have something new soon!

1 comment:

  1. Cute and creative! I have all my babules in the TOP drawer of a dresser. I wanna display them all!!!

    ReplyDelete