Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Relying on the Man

Last week I got a call from my sister in law, Jenny (brother's wife) who was asking for advice on molding her resume to be sent in for a job she is not even remotely qualified for, but that she thought would be fun. (side note:  I love her outlook on life.  So refreshing!)

My brother and Jenny both work for a large regional bank that recently merged with another bank.  And much like any medium to large company, they lay people off whenever the numbers tell them to.   Well, the numbers told them to lay-off 200 employees in Q3.  Both Aaron and Jenny were spared in this massacre, but as anyone would be in their situation, they are a little leery of their future with the company.  

I talked to Jenny again this morning and she was telling me that she was warned that her job class could be eliminated.  Well, they are doing what companies do when they know they want to lay someone off:  they start coming up with reasons to fire people so they don't have to pay severance or unemployment claims.  

This nauseates me.  Not because of what the company is doing, but that the livelihood of my favorite relatives are being threatened because they are reliant on a faceless monster of a company for their entire income.  

My husband and I went through this past summer dealing with something similar.  I was losing my contract job with a mega-company in August and his mega-company decided it would be fun to play yo-yo with him, his job assignment and my mental well-being.   I was absolutely blown away by how much anxiety can be placed on us by those faceless monsters.   They literally control our lives, whether we want to admit or accept it is irrelevant.   


Well my attempt at gaining control over my future is moving along.  Slowly, but surely.

If you want to check out my website, please do so!

  Austin Professional Organizer

No comments:

Post a Comment